404 Hampstead Garden Suburb Virtual Museum : Local Organisation : Henrietta Barnett School [HBS]
Henrietta Barnett School

It was Henrietta Barnett’s most ambitious scheme, the building of a model ‘Garden Suburb’ community to the north of London, that  allowed her to combine her passion for architecture, education and the arts. ‘The Institute’ Hall, situated in the centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb and officially opened on 28th March 1909, originally housed both adult education classes and a temporary infants school.

However, as the Suburb’s population grew, plans were drawn up for a permanent girls’ school. Despite the preponderance of boys’ schools in the local area, Henrietta had to fight hard for several years to persuade authorities of the necessity of building a girls’ school. Thankfully she persevered and at 9.15am on 17th January 1912, the first six students to attend Henrietta Barnett’s ‘Institute Kindergarten and High School’ (the future HBS) arrived for morning lessons with Miss Matzinger.

The school, 38551_ca_object_representations_media_44with exterior designs by British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, grew rapidly and was developed in three main stages between 1909 and 1929. On 23rd October 1918, Queen Mary, made the first of several visits to lay the foundation stone of ‘The Barnett School’ (renamed ‘The Henrietta Barnett School’ in 1922) on a temporary plinth. Six years later it was transferred to the new Queen Mary Wing, named in her honour and opened on 31st May 1924 .

The final stage of the main building, known as Crewe Hall after the 1st Marquess of Crewe, was completed in 1929. The addition of these purpose built classrooms, including the first science laboratories on the site, enabled the school to increase to two-form entry. In 1938 the school site was once again expanded by the addition of The Henrietta Barnett Preparatory School, which accepted mixed pupils aged 5-11 and which occupied the Bigwood site until 1976. Finally on 4th May 2011, almost 100 years after the arrival of the first students, the completion of the new Hopkins Wings provided today’s students with splendid new art, music, drama and design technology facilities.

Dame Henrietta Barnett strongly believed in the power of education to shape people’s lives and founded the School to provide educational opportunities of the highest quality for its pupils. She built the School on the principle that education should be open to girls from different backgrounds to study and learn together and from each other, regardless of social, economic, cultural, ethnic or religious background.. It remains committed to developing the whole person, to encouraging girls to explore their interests in a wide variety of ways and to promoting curiosity of mind, independence of spirit and a love of learning in keeping with the founder’s vision.

Henrietta Barnett School
Additional Info
Website: https://www.hbschool.org.uk/
Featured Collections
Agnes Gertrude Baker
Photos of staff from Henrietta Barnett School stretching over a century from 1914 to 2006, including both pictures of former Heads of the school and group staff pictures.

Old Uniforms - Pocket and Purse
Collection of former uniforms from Henrietta Barnett school, includes dresses and skirts as well as hats scarves and purses.

Photos and Programmes of Henrietta Barnett School's Dramatic Productions, spanning several decades. 

Detailed History
Related events
Built in the centre of the Hampstead Garden Suburb, the Institute Hall housed adult education and a temporary infant school.

The first six students attended the institute which would become HBS after years of Henrietta Barnett fighting for an all girls’ school.

Sir Edwin Lutyens’ plans for the school developed rapidly between these years.

Queen Mary arrives at Henrietta Barnett School, with the first of many visits consisting of laying down the foundation stone on a temporary plinth.

The temporary plinth was transferred to the Queen Mary Wing and renamed in her honour.

The First School Camp established with roles such as Water Patrol.

Final stage of the main building, named Crewe Hall, was completed.

Expansion of the school through the preparatory school.
It accepted mixed pupils and was situated at the Bigwood site.

Completion of the new Hopkin Wings provided new facilities for the arts, 100 years after the first students’ arrival.

Henrietta Barnett opened The Institute to provide education for adults.

The first room in the Institute was opened by Henrietta Barnett

The construction of the Old Hall Wing was completed two years after the Institute opened.

Baby elephant brought to the Institute to celebrate Treloar Day.

Festivities for Treloar Day continue with a pageant.