404 Hampstead Garden Suburb Virtual Museum : event : Treloar Day at the Institute
Treloar Day at the Institute

A baby elephant was brought to the Institute to celebrate Treloar Day, when Lord Sir Mayor Treloar opened the first cottage (1907) on the Suburb.

Objects
Treloar Day at the Institute
Related people/organisations
View of Institute from Central Square
Opened in 1909 by Hernietta Barnett the Institute has been at the heart of the Suburb Community for over a century. Dame Henritta believed in the transformative social powers of education and an adult education provider such as The Institute.


Henrietta Barnett School sports day 1930
Originally founded by Dame Barnett in 1911 to educate poorer girls to a good standard no matter their financial background and now consistently ranks amongst the highest state schools in the country. 

Related place