404 Hampstead Garden Suburb Virtual Museum : Document : Report on Service in Institute Hall [HGSSPW1]
Report on Service in Institute Hall
Report on Service in Institute Hall

In the early 1930s about 150 Jewish families then lived in the Suburb, mostly in the newly developing eastern part, there was then no synagogue within the Suburb.  However the Institute  agreed to provide a room  for Jewish Sabbath and Festival services  and this  provided a focal point from which the Jewish community there could develop and grow.

This is a report from one of these servies in 1935.

Document, HGSSPW1
Related people/organisations
View of Institute from Central Square
Opened in 1909 by Hernietta Barnett the Institute has been at the heart of the Suburb Community for over a century. Dame Henritta believed in the transformative social powers of education and an adult education provider such as The Institute.

Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue
Built in 1935 the Hampstead Garden Suburb has been at the heart of the Suburb's large Jewish community for nearly 80 years.
Related event
In 1932, the demands for a synagogue and communal centre were met due to the rising number of Jewish residents in the Suburb. There was a provision of space for small size Sabbath Services.