404 Hampstead Garden Suburb Virtual Museum : Photograph : Treloar Day Pageant [HGSAT21]
Treloar Day Pageant

To display in FULL SCREEN hover the cursor over the image above ​and click the top left zoom button


This picture shows a pageant held in celebration of Treloar Day, marking the date when Lord Mayor of London Sir William Treloar opened the first cottages in the Suburb in 1907. 

Photograph, HGSAT21
Treloar Day Pageant
Related people/organisations
Henrietta Barnett cutting the first sod
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Archives Trust is a registered charity, known as Suburb Archives. It is responsible for ensuring that the archives of the suburb are properly cared for and are accessible to all.

View of Institute from Central Square
Opened in 1909 by Hernietta Barnett the Institute has been at the heart of the Suburb Community for over a century. Dame Henritta believed in the transformative social powers of education and an adult education provider such as The Institute.
Related Collection
Hampstead Tenants Sports Day
Series of photos, documents and objects from the Archive Trust that pre date the First World War, in the first seven years of the Suburb. 
Related event
Hampstead Tenants Sports Day
Festivities for Treloar Day continue with a pageant.
Related objects
Baby Elephant visits on Treloar Day
In 1912 as part of the celebrations for Treloar Day ,marking when Lord Mayor Sir William Treloar opened the first cottage on the suburb in 1907, a baby elephant was brought to the steps of the Institute along with his keepers. 

This picture is captures a scene from when Lord Mayor of London Sir William Treloar opened up the foundation cottages on the 2nd of October 1907. The house he is appearing out of is 142 Hampstead Way, the rents on the properties were from 32 and a half pence to 33 and a half a week. 

This day was long celebrated as Treloar Day and included Pageants and visits from Baby Elephants as seen elsewhere in the Museum.